Tuesday, February 21, 2012

This is hard

Somedays I just feel like giving up. There is so much to know and it doesn't feel like it is sticking. Everyone seems smarter than you and like they get it more than you. It just feels overwhelming and unsurmountable. And then u also realize that you will never feel prepared it will always be learning and practicing and making mistakes no matter where you are in your career. That is freakin' scary as hell. Ur like damn I barely get it now I'm flying by the seat of my pants, and that probably not going to change!

Also difficult is that your patients seem to think that you know it all- and you don't! It's like it afraid to ask a question about symptoms for fear you'll unearth yet another problem to try to figure out and "solve.". And hello? Doctors cannot solve all of your problems. I don't know everything. Some problems don't need to be pursued they'll probably just go away on their own or maybe don't have any real logical explanation. I wish my patients would pick up some of the slack and try to take charge of their own health perhaps with Md. guidance but not as the grand oracle, cuz damn it is way hard sometimes to carry that burden, especially when we can't give the patient a very good answer for something.

No comments: